John is the founder of DWS, having grown the business significantly since its inception as John Dickson Strategies in 1994. He has over 40 years of experience in the hospitality and leisure sectors in senior management and consulting roles. John specialises in the areas of strategic planning, corporate governance, business structure and workshop and training facilitation. John holds the following qualifications and industry associations:
Before establishing DWS, John was the founding managing director of one of Australia’s most successful clubs, The Brisbane Polo Club. Other senior managerial roles include management of the Power group of hotels, responsibility of the catering operations at the Melbourne Cricket Grounds and club manager at the Brisbane Lions.
Since establishing the consulting business, it has grown from a small team of two consultants to a team of over 15 with strong links and associations to the hospitality, leisure and tourism sectors. John is highly acknowledged as an industry leader and is actively involved in advising business and other senior level personnel on key issues. Key career achievements include:
- Established Club Training Australia, a registered training organisation with over 30 employees.
- Service to Industry award 2015 Keno and Clubs Queensland Awards for Excellence
- Voted general manager of the year at the 1997 Queensland club industry awards.
- Appointed by the Queensland government to produce the Business Assistance Tool Kit for the tourism and hospitality sector.
- Appointed by the Queensland Licensing Division to deliver mandatory training.